Saturday, July 19, 2014

Sunlight and Rain

Recently I have had no words to share.  The words just seem to be floating around in my head like a mixed up mess.  I have had a couple of people ask about why I haven't posted recently.  All I can say is that there just hasn't been enough in me to pour out.   Life can be joyous, comical, crazy and even heart breaking at times.  The other day I found my 4th gray hair and I just had to laugh.  I am not getting younger and life just doesn't stop when you want it to.  Things will happen as you walk through your days.  Some things will make you want to shout from the rooftops and other days want to make you crawl into a hole.  You will have triumphs and tragedies.  But one thing is for sure, life will still go on despite the way you are feeling in that one moment.

One thing I love about Facebook is getting to walk through people's lives with them.  I have smiled at posts, shook my head at some and cried over others.  I have rejoiced in babies being born, degrees being earned, and kids making touchdowns.  I have bawled over the loss of innocent lives and friends that have lost things that they worked so hard for.  I have asked the Lord to break my heart for what breaks his and I can tell you I have been broken hearted many times over the pains and struggles that people I know go through.  In saying that, I have found myself broken at times too and have felt like I have nothing to offer anyone because I am emotionally and physically exhausted myself.  But through perseverance I have been able to offer a word or a prayer.  I am not the best at gift giving or cooking or crafting, but I can give my words.  My community is hurting.  My friends are fighting cancer.  My family is fighting sickness.  My heart can get desperate.  But my God gives comfort to the hurting.  He gives strength to the weak.  He gives healing to the sick.  He offers light in the midst of a dark world.

We have had a lot of rain recently and I am not a fan of the rain.  I am a "sunshine" girl.  I like windows and I like a lot of light.  Lots of sunny rays makes me one happy girl.  But I know there are days that rain is needed.  Have you ever sat down and thought that in the midst of the rain, someone somewhere is soaking it up?  Kids are laughing and playing out in it.  People are dancing to the sound of the rain.  Someone needs to be refreshed.  Others are having a sunshine moment as the rain pours and the thunders cracks down.  Life can be like that.  But when you are the one who had plans, the rain is just a nuisance. You may be in the middle of the storm.  The winds are raging and the downpour is relentless.  But you have to know that the sun does shine and the skies do clear.  The storm will pass.  Patience is not easy, especially when you are waiting on an answer and hoping for a miracle.  Some things are hard to understand.  God offers peace that passes all understanding.  When there is no sense of it all, all you can do is trust.
 Proverbs 3:5-6New International Version (NIV)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.[a]

I have been trying to read my bible more often lately.  It has seemed that every scripture or motivational quote that someone has posted has applied to me.  Isn't that funny how that happens?  I just keep soaking it in.  I read the Beatitudes in Matthew again the other day and it just jumped out at me like never before.  We live in a world where everyone has an opinion.  Everyone thinks it's ok to always speak their mind all the time.  People take heart in "karma."  Some love to see others fail.  Some can't share in your successes.  But the world could use more people that are slow to speak.  Sometimes the greatest lessons can be learned in silence.  If I have to choose between "karma" and mercy, I choose mercy.  I surely hope I don't get everything I deserve.  We should lift others up when they fall.  We should extend our hands and our resources if we are able.  We should be happy when people we know succeed.  I would rather extend my hand to someone who has fallen than laugh in their face.  I want my friends and family to succeed because out of the success comes overflow into my life as well.

I say all this to remind myself that we are in the midst of a hurting world.  But remember that out of great tragedies come great testimonies.  We have a will to keep going.  There will be times you need someone else to hold your hand and guide you when you can't see clearly through the many tears you have shed.  There will be times that it is your hands that hold a broken mother to comfort her.  It may be your resources that help a struggling relative.  It could be your ears that hear the prayers of person fighting a disease and needs strength to go on one more day.  It may be your eyes that see a friend's pain through their smile.   We all have purpose and we all have something to give.  God specifically designed you.  There is a life out there that you will touch and there will be someone who will touch your life.  You just may be the hope that someone needs today.  Go out and hold someone in the middle of their storm.  Share your light!

My prayer today:  God comfort those who need it today.  In a world where things don't always make sense, I ask that you be our source.  I ask that you hold the broken hearted in your hands today.  I ask that you restore husbands back to wives and kids back to parents.  I ask that you protect all of our children.  I pray for every disease and every sickness to be healed in your name.  I ask that you provide resources to all of those who are struggling in their finances today.  I pray for our homes, our businesses, our schools and our community.  Lord shine your everlasting light on all of us today.  Thank you for your promises and the hope you give us for today and for our future.

Amen

The Beatitudes

He said:
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Struggle Bus

 It has taken me a while to process my thoughts on my health journey over the past year.  I've come to the conclusion that the struggle ...