Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Graduation 2019

Today I packed the last sack lunch for my oldest son.  Yes, I have made his lunch every day since he was in school, give or take a few sick days.  In the beginning I alternated between peanut butter jelly or a ham sandwich with mustard only.  Then came the invention of uncrustable peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and my mornings got a little easier.  There was always an oatmeal crème pie in his lunch or a cosmic brownie, followed by a two cuties or one regular sized navel orange.  Then I would pick out his chips alternating between the different kinds except the sour cream and onion ones or plain lays.  Those always get left behind.  Throw in two uncrustables and the boy was set.  There were many days when he never said a word about it, not even a thank you.  Naturally, I would get mad some days and think how unappreciative he is of me and all that poor me stuff.  Fast forward to high school and I finally got the "thank you momma" quite often.  There were days when I thought I needed to stop doing it.  Maybe he will never learn how to prepare for himself if I keep doing it.  But you know what?  I really never minded and he really does know how to do it himself.  I am very confident that he will be able to pack his own in the upcoming years and maybe, just maybe, he will think about momma when he does.

As I sit here thinking about the next few days with graduation quickly approaching all I can think about right now is that lunch.  That lunch was always made.  He could count on it as he will always be able to count on mom and dad.  Now we have to send him off soon knowing that the Lord will be there always providing even when we aren't there.  On his life journey, his experiences may be different each day just like the flavor of chips.  But he can always count on the Lord's guidance and provision just like the peanut butter and jelly in his lunch.  The Lord will provide him with all of the nutrients and essentials he needs to thrive in this world.  Luke 24:12

This young man of mine did not come with instructions.  In fact, we have had many moments of frustration, disagreements, heart ache, triumph and trials.  I look at him and I can tell you every single flaw of his.  I know what pushes his buttons.  I know when he is giving a genuine or fake smile.  I know when he is broken down.  I know he can be the biggest jerk at times.  I know he speaks before he thinks.  I know the Lord has had to humble him at times but he never forgets to promote him when he is ready.  I also know what others don't see.  I know the good things he does behind closed doors.  I know some of his big dreams and deepest prayers.  I know he is troubled by injustices.  I know that when we give him advice he may take offense at first.  But he ponders on it and usually does what we have taught him.  I know that God talks to him in his own way.  I know he is a worshipper.  I know there is a fire in his soul and a desire to make a difference in this world.  I know he isn't going to be every one's cup of tea.  That used to worry me but not so much any more.  I pray God puts the people in his path that need to be there.  I hope he learns from his biggest critics.  I hope he finds his biggest cheerleaders and holds on tight to them.

When others have asked me for parenting advice all I can say is pray.  I truly believe prayer is the key to raising kids.  There are just some things you can't take to others but you can always take them to God.  Not everyone will understand your parenting decisions.  I learned a long time ago to never say never.  My kids aren't perfect and my parenting for sure ain't perfect.  There are things you will do with your kid and for your kid that I may not understand and vice versa.  Be confident in knowing that God picked YOU for your child.  He will give YOU all the grace, all the power, all the wisdom you need to raise that child.  I hope us parents can help each other along the way.  When I have failed I pray some of you are there to open your arms with grace and cover me in prayer.  I also need some of you to tell me to get a grip and the rest of you to be ready with comfort food.

This week of graduation has literally come way too fast.  Every one said it.  Every one said not to blink.  Well I did and now it's here.  I have stressed out and pigged out.  I am broke and worn out.  You know what else?  I am excited!  I am proud.  I am humbled.  But I keep coming back to prayer.  I write sticky notes with scriptures on them that I put on my kid's doors.  Each note has a scripture that came to me at different times in their lives.  They are still there after all this time.  I thought, being boys, they would take them down at some point.  But they have each come to me and asked for me to rewrite one that lost its stick.  I find myself a lot lately going to those doors after they leave and declaring God's words over their lives.  Put those prayers on repeat!  It's all that I know to do.

So my prayer for boy today is that he always knows who he is who he belongs to.  I pray he knows that mom and dad will always be here.  I pray he knows the voice of his heavenly Father above all else.  I pray he humbles himself because lessons in humility are usually not fun.  I pray he has the confidence to go out and change the world one person at a time but never forgetting where he started.  May he always remember the ones who sowed into his life, into his mission, into his dreams.  I pray he always opens the door for a lady and gives a firm hand shake.  I pray he takes his days of working at the feed store and remembers that you have to work hard to earn that pay check.  I pray he knows how to talk to people and how to speak up.  I pray he pays for some one's meal when he can because so many have paid for his along the way.  I pray he doesn't compromise his beliefs but learns how to be more compassionate and extend grace to others.  I pray he knows how to forgive and how to move on even when it's hard to let go.  I pray he finds the people who bring out his genuine chuckle.  I pray he keeps his toilet clean and that he always jams to some Michael Jackson.  I pray that he reminisces about the days that got him his last name on the back of a letterman.  But mostly I pray that he knows his name is written in the Lamb's book of life.

To the Class of 2019- When you put on that cap and gown and smile with pride knowing you did it, be aware that your biggest fans are sitting in the stands crying.  We cry because our hearts just exploded with a flood of emotions.  We are so proud of you!  For this day, we have prayed.  Forgive us for the times we didn't get it right because when we look at you we see all that we DID do right.  Yes maybe we want to read you one more story or pack your lunch one more time or take you to practice.  But mostly we want you to know that we believe in you.  You are everything to us.  We send you out into this world with your unique talents and trust you will make your mark on this big planet.  When they call out your name to come across the stage, we will yell out "that one is mine."  But Lord I know you will be saying "I knew them first."  Jeremiah 1:5

Congrats to all of the 2019 Graduates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Struggle Bus

 It has taken me a while to process my thoughts on my health journey over the past year.  I've come to the conclusion that the struggle ...